Daily sight word practice is a very important part of homework. ‘Sight words’, are words that students must just memorize and recognize when they see them. These words can not be sounded out because they often break the common rules of our language.
Kindergarten students need to master the 100 kindergarten words, which are attached below. After that, they will move on to the Fry's Sight Word list of 1000 words. In the classroom, we use a variety of songs, worksheets, charts, and books to help teach the sight words. If you are interested in the songs, check out http://HeidiSongs.com
OTHER IDEAS to learn sight words: ~ Use the flash cards below and practice drilling your child for a few minutes each night. ~ If your child struggles with the flashcards, tape the sight word flash cards in various areas around the house and randomly, through out the day, ask your child to read the cards. ~ You can also have your child look for sight words as they do the nightly reading homework. ~ Have your child practice writing the sight words in shaving cream, sand, or by water painting!
Encouraging reading is one of the most important things we can do to help your child succeed. It can be tough finding the right books to keep them interested, which is why I am so excited that our class will be participating in Scholastic Reading Club this school year.
With Scholastic Reading Club:
• Every book you buy earns FREE Books for our classroom library
• You can choose from handpicked, grade- and reading-level-specific books for your child
• You'll find the best values on a variety of formats, including eBooks
Each month, your child will bring home Reading Club flyers. Together you can choose from books hand-selected by teachers and experts, and then order online or by returning your order form and payment to me.
I'd also love some help growing our classroom Reading Club. If you'd like to help out, please let me know! I'm excited to get our class reading!
Thank you for your support,
If This Is Your First Time Ordering Online:
• REGISTER at scholastic.com/readingclub
• ENTER the Class Activation Code (See Mrs. Buell for code)
• CHOOSE from thousands of print titles, value packs, and Storia eBooks
• SUBMIT the order to me by the due date listed on the website
• EARN FREE Books for our classroom too!
Howard E. Heckethorn